Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

Login to post your products and services

Safety of electrical goods - help

Electronics Forum

Topic author Australia
meltedice

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Not sure whether to post this under home improvement. My apologies if im wrong.

My toaster doesn't evenly toast anymore after I did some damage last week while cleaning out a thick crust that got caught inside of it. It's my fault for toasting half ripped pieces of bread. Anyway the inside element is pretty much gone on one side.

I saw that Coles has a $25 plastic toaster and Aldi have had them in before. I don't know how safe these toasters are or just the safety of any cheap electrical good. I don't want to get electrocuted from a dodgy circuit or soldering work because there's probably less money allocated towards quality control during production.

I'm not food expert. Just want a 4 slice toaster with a few settings.

The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

United States of America
datsgucci

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:11 am

meltedice wrote:

My toaster doesn't evenly toast anymore after I did some damage last week while cleaning out a thick crust that got caught inside of it. It's my fault for toasting half ripped pieces of bread. Anyway the inside element is pretty much gone on one side.

I saw that Coles has a $25 plastic toaster and Aldi have had them in before. I don't know how safe these toasters are or just the safety of any cheap electrical good. I don't want to get electrocuted from a dodgy circuit or soldering work because there's probably less money allocated towards quality control during production.

Irrespective of price, electrical goods must follow safety standards to be imported into most countries. Of course It's possible for products to have faults in manufacturing or design but that where product recalls come into it. A lot of the time product recalls are posted on the manufacturer's website like the link below but unless you're actively checking, you may not even realize that you own an unsafe product.

http://help.target.com/help/productreca ... earch+help

Providing that the brand is relatively well known and the toaster is purchased from a store with a good reputation and returns policy, it should be safe.

Topic author Australia
meltedice

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:51 am

datsgucci wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:11 am
meltedice wrote:

Irrespective of price, electrical goods must follow safety standards to be imported into most countries. Of course It's possible for products to have faults in manufacturing or design but that where product recalls come into it. A lot of the time product recalls are posted on the manufacturer's website like the link below but unless you're actively checking, you may not even realize that you own an unsafe product.

http://help.target.com/help/productreca ... earch+help

Providing that the brand is relatively well known and the toaster is purchased from a store with a good reputation and returns policy, it should be safe.
silly me. I forgot about standards for imports. :) Didn't know that they were posted online either.
I'll check the recall notices.

Australia
toones

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 pm

No! Never. You're risking a house fire.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've bought my fair share of cheap electrical. I've had sparks come out of cheap power boards and kettles fail to switch off. All dangerous stuff if you're not there to see it and turn it off. Scary..

Don' t buy any electrical appliance without a brand name. Now that I'm thinking about it (obviously) no brand means that there's no way to get in touch with the company. They probably don't want us to

Great Britain
mrbean

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:49 pm

risking a fire over £30 or £40 is dumb. buy a proper toaster

Great Britain
mrbean

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Look. Toaster good.

£93.96 for a Curve Jug Kettle and Toaster Set.

https://www.breville.co.uk/breakfast/br ... hrome.html

Or

Canada
AlexMakeup
Eye Colour: A
Hair Colour: A

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:17 pm

mrbean wrote:
Look. Toaster good.

Or

oh man that's too dangerous. It's still freaking plugged into power !shocked !shocked

to and beyond

⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

United States of America
datsgucci

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:55 pm

mrbean wrote:
Look. Toaster good.

Or

At least the bread isn't undercooked.

Topic author Australia
meltedice

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:21 pm

mrbean wrote:
Look. Toaster good.

Or

Sheesh I hope they switched their power off after that. !shocked !shocked

Topic author Australia
meltedice

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 pm

toones wrote:

I'm embarrassed to say that I've bought my fair share of cheap electrical. I've had sparks come out of cheap power boards and kettles fail to switch off. All dangerous stuff if you're not there to see it and turn it off. Scary..

Don' t buy any electrical appliance without a brand name. Now that I'm thinking about it (obviously) no brand means that there's no way to get in touch with the company. They probably don't want us to
That's concerning. How cheap were the kettles and power boards?

Australia
toones

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 pm

meltedice wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22 pm
toones wrote:

That's concerning. How cheap were the kettles and power boards?
Under $40

United States of America
reviewcountry01

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:23 pm

I am a professional blogger and I work on a products review website reviewcounty. Where you can find all details,reviews and buying guide of all products.
mosquitron review
Drone X Pro review

United States of America
puneetheer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks for providing the information.
Get the latest moskinator sonicfrom here.

India
sinister

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 am

Thanks for providing the information.
Get the latest Food Processor here.

India
miketrout1995

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:33 pm

I have faced mayproblems with charging device with cords. Wireless device are much better as they are much safer. You can check my latest article on ChargeBoost Reviews. It is an amazing wireless charger that is quite popular these days.

Hi, I am a professional blogger at EverydaysGadgets.com and frequently write reviews about latest and trending gadgets. You can check my latest article on ChargeBoost Reviews. It is an amazing wireless charger that is quite popular these days.
Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic