Global Network

Login or Register to join worldwide conversations.

Light Phone - dumb mobile phones

Phone Forum

Topic author Great Britain
Maxsy
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 April 2019
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Apparently "app addiction" is a real thing so companies are making dumb phones even "dumber" than the older style candybar Nokias.

It is desirable to have an emergency phone but I need my email unfortunately. Life.
Attachments
dumbphone.jpg


The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

Australia
Tasha
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 November 2018
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 am

Apps aren't the primary issue with addiction. It's the ongoing notifications every single time a friend blinks on social media, "ding", "ding", "ding" all throughout the day.


User avatar

Canada
AlexMakeup
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 October 2018
Eye Colour: A
Hair Colour: A
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:20 pm

How do you receive voice mail and write texts on that thing?


to and beyond

   ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

Topic author Great Britain
Maxsy
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 April 2019
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Tasha wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 am
Apps aren't the primary issue with addiction. It's the ongoing notifications every single time a friend blinks on social media, "ding", "ding", "ding" all throughout the day.
I find it stressful when my phone would ring while driving, when there's no roadside area to park and check the message or call. Now I switch it to the night time sleep mode while driving, in a meeting or doing anything particularly important. I assume numerous road accidents are caused by mobiles ringing, texting while driving and the idiots who check messages at traffic lights. Put the phone down and watch the surroundings, taking a life because of a text is fd.
AlexMakeup wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:20 pm
How do you receive voice mail and write texts on that thing?
They have an Indiegogo page to bring out the 2nd light phone which they say will have alarm clock and texting. I can't see any mention of voicemail.


User avatar

Canada
AlexMakeup
Posts: 104
Joined: 21 October 2018
Eye Colour: A
Hair Colour: A
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Maxsy wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm
AlexMakeup wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:20 pm
How do you receive voice mail and write texts on that thing?
They have an Indiegogo page to bring out the 2nd light phone which they say will have alarm clock and texting. I can't see any mention of voicemail.
......... Oh ..... there's two.


to and beyond

   ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵
User avatar

United States of America
GuyShadow
Posts: 32
Joined: 17 August 2018
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am

It looks scary



Topic author Great Britain
Maxsy
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 April 2019
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

GuyShadow wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am
It looks scary
how?



Australia
AllyMarshall
Posts: 43
Joined: 14 October 2018
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:00 pm

I get 30 texts a day from friends. No social media apps would be ok but I desperately require texting functionality. You could just go to amazon and buy a cheap phone for 1/2 the price. It's cheaper and I doubt snake would distract anyone

Just remember the phone should be 3g or 4g as 2g has closed down in Aus, and probably everywhere else.



User avatar

Great Britain
HaileyHall
Posts: 56
Joined: 12 March 2019
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 am

I totally support simplification and minimalism.


Hailey !eyeshadow2

Topic author Great Britain
Maxsy
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 April 2019
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 pm

AllyMarshall wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:00 pm
I get 30 texts a day from friends. No social media apps would be ok but I desperately require texting functionality. You could just go to amazon and buy a cheap phone for 1/2 the price. It's cheaper and I doubt snake would distract anyone

Just remember the phone should be 3g or 4g as 2g has closed down in Aus, and probably everywhere else.

I wish I was that popular !love They have a version, so they say that will have texting. You're right the Nokia 3310 3G remake should do the same job, plus it has battery standby for up to a month and is colourful.


User avatar

Australia
flamingo92
Posts: 20
Joined: 16 April 2019
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 pm

My friends are a walking example of mobile phone app addiction.


"Are you bothered by nuisance tropical flamingos soiling your front yard?" - The Sims

France
technom
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 April 2019
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Status: Offline

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm

The original light phone is 2G only. It wouldn't work in many countries now :(



Topic author Great Britain
Maxsy
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 April 2019
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm

technom wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm
The original light phone is 2G only. It wouldn't work in many countries now :(
Really you'd think they would include 3g antennas in the light phone to begin with. Now 4G is the bare minimum that anyone should buy. Soon phone companies will be taking down the 3G technology.



France
technom
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 April 2019
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Maxsy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm
technom wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm
The original light phone is 2G only. It wouldn't work in many countries now :(
Really you'd think they would include 3g antennas in the light phone to begin with. Now 4G is the bare minimum that anyone should buy. Soon phone companies will be taking down the 3G technology.
Exactly......... It's obvious. You can check the papers and see the shift. 2G is as good as gone and 3G is on the way out. Logically the light phone doesn't need 3G. It doesn't have apps therefore there's no use for 3G's much faster 42 Mbps data transfer speed. However majority rules, 2G is depreciated with most people wanting apps and the portability of the internet on the go.



Topic author Great Britain
Maxsy
Posts: 38
Joined: 12 April 2019
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:13 pm

technom wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:06 pm
Maxsy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm
technom wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm
The original light phone is 2G only. It wouldn't work in many countries now :(
Really you'd think they would include 3g antennas in the light phone to begin with. Now 4G is the bare minimum that anyone should buy. Soon phone companies will be taking down the 3G technology.
Exactly......... It's obvious. You can check the papers and see the shift. 2G is as good as gone and 3G is on the way out. Logically the light phone doesn't need 3G. It doesn't have apps therefore there's no use for 3G's much faster 42 Mbps data transfer speed. However majority rules, 2G is depreciated with most people wanting apps and the portability of the internet on the go.
The networks have the final say. They have to adapt


Cosmetic Rumours
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic